Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pecan Pie and a New Look

     So I know I am not the only person who is ready for spring.  All this hot and cold weather is being hard on my sinuses.  I have had a cough for the last two weeks and have started taking Claritin D for the drip.  So I am so ready for this cold weather to be over and gone.  Guess the groundhog was wrong but even if he was I don't plan on having him sentenced to death. Saw that on the news that someone wanted to kill the poor fella.  Well we can't always be right all the time now can we.  So even though the lows are going to be in the 30's for the next couple of days I wanted to give my blog a fresh and springy feeling.  Hope you like it.  
     
We went had supper at my mother in laws and of course I bought dessert.  I had been wanting to make a pecan pie. Especially Ree from the Pioneer Woman's pecan pie.   Well I thought I had enough corn syrup in the pantry but when I took the bottle out I only had about 2 tablespoons.  So I decided  to substitute honey for the corn syrup.  I figured it is thick and gooey like corn syrup so it would work.  And let me tell you it was the best pecan pie.  I had only bought me and my hubby each a piece home so I ended up making another one for us the next day.  
     
The only problem I had with both pies was the crust over browned.  And I even covered the crust with foil both times and it over browned.  Gonna have to google and see if I can come up with some tips to prevent the crust from getting too brown.  
     So if you need a good pecan pie recipe try this one you won't be disappointed.  We surely weren't.  It did have a whiskey cream sauce that is served with the pie but I left it out. 


Pecan Pie

1 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup corn syrup, I used honey
1/3 cup salted butter, melted
3 whole eggs, beaten
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup finely chopped pecans,  I also sprinkled 1/4 cup whole pecans on top of the chopped
1 whole unbaked pie crust
     Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Mix the white sugar, brown sugar, salt, corn syrup, butter, eggs and vanilla together in a bowl.  Pour the chopped pecans in the bottom of the unbaked pie shell.  Pour the syrup mixture over the top.  Bake the pie until it's no longer loose and jiggly, 1 hour 10 minutes, being careful not to burn pecans and crust.  (Cover with foil for part of the baking time if it browns too quickly).  Allow to cool for several hours or overnight. 

Recipe from The Pioneer Woman



    

No comments:

Post a Comment