Thursday, February 21, 2013

Biscuit Egg Casserole

     I have discovered something about having a blog.  It means posting the good and the bad about the food you make.  Well so far it has been good........well that's  until I tried this recipe.  I mean it wasn't totally inedible but it wasn't the greatest thing either.  My husband didn't want me to post the recipe or even take a picture of it but I couldn't pass up the chance to share my disappointments.  
      
   There were a few things wrong with this dish.  For one I used grands biscuits for the bottom layer.  5 large biscuits pressed out in the bottom of a 8x8-inch pan will fluff up quite a bit.  Actually way to much.  And even though the recipe did not say to cover it I should have because the top over browned way to much.  I did add some green onions to my eggs cause we just love them in our scrabbled eggs.  
   
     I think next time I make this, if there is a next time.  I will use either a small can of regular biscuits or maybe even some hash browns.  And I will definitely cover the top with some foil paper to stop it from browning too much.  And it needed some more seasoning in the eggs.  Or better yet use some hot jimmy dean roll sausage.    So here is failure number one.  


Biscuit Egg Casserole

1 can of biscuits (I used a 5 count Grands Biscuits)
1 pound of jimmy dean sausage roll (browned, drained and cooled)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
5 eggs, beaten

2 egg whites
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup chopped green onions
Tony's  to your taste
     Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  (Maybe a lower temperature would stop the top from browning too).  Crumble and cook sausage in skillet until browned.  Drain.  Line bottom of a greased 8x8 - inch baking dish with biscuit dough, firmly pressing perforations to seal.  Sprinkle with sausage and cheese.  Whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, green onions and tony's in a medium bowl until blended; pour over sausage and cheese.  Bake 30 minutes (may have to bake lower if oven temperature is lowered) or until set.  A knife should come out clean when inserted in the center.  Let stand 5 minutes before cutting into squares; serve warm. 


No comments:

Post a Comment