Saturday, February 16, 2013

Big Chocolate Chip Cookies

     Sorry it's been a while since I updated my blog.  However I do have some great recipes to share with ya'll.  So anyone who knows me knows I love to watch the Food Network.  Even though I don't care for to many of his shows,  I was watching Bobby Flay's Throwdown.  The episode was all about Chocolate Chip Cookies. The cookie that Bobby was having a throwdown with was a big Chocolate Chip Cookie from New York City's Levain Bakery.  This cookie was big and thick.  Well I decided to google to see if I could find a recipe for this.  And I came across a few and combined them to come up with this cookie.  They are really big cookies.

     See what I mean.  They are huge and they weigh in at a little over 4 ounces each.  So with them being that big I only got 13 cookies out of one batch.  They are crunchy on the outside and moist in the middle.  I thought they were good.  Everyone at therapy enjoyed them but my hubby likes my Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe that I make all the time better than this one.  So I am going to share both recipes with you.  If you feel adventurous try these big ole cookies.  If you want to stay on the safe side try my tried and true recipe.  And by the way my Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe doesn't have eggs so they are good if you have high cholesterol. 
This is just a regular coffee cup so you can imagine how big they are. 
And here are the two recipes I have to share with you.  The first is the one for the big cookies.  

Levain Bakery Copycat Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookie

2 sticks cold and cubed unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar - not packed too hard.  Just spoon it in the cup and 
      press down lightly when full, sweeping off any extra that runs over
2 eggs
3 1/3 cups all purpose flour - spoon and sweep method (feel the dough, it 
     should be moist, kind of like cold cookie dough in a tube, but not super 
     sticky, so you can portion the cookies with your hands. 
3/4 cup salt
3/4 to 1 teaspoon baking powder (I don't fill the teaspoon fully, hence the 3/4 teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
1 cup chopped pecans 
     Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  
     In a bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle, cream together butter and sugars until well blended and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until well incorporated.
     Add flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and mix until just combined.  Gently fold in chocolate chips and nuts.  
     Transfer dough to clean work surface and gently mix dough by hand to ensure even distribution of ingredients.  ( I just mixed everything really good in the bowl with a bowl scrapper.) Divide dough into 12 to 13 equal portions.  4 ounces each.
     Place each on sheet pan lined with parchment paper.  I placed 5 on each sheet.  Bake in the preheated oven 15 to 20 minutes depending on how gooey and raw you like the middles.  I baked mine for 24 minutes because we like our cookies done in the middle.  Just don't over bake them.  Once you take the cookies out of the oven they will continue to cook a little more on the hot cookie sheet.  Let cool and store them in a airtight container.  To freshen them after a few days (if they last that long), give them a quick nuke in the microwave for 5 to 10 seconds. 


Here is my go to recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies.  This comes from Mrs. Fields Cookie Book.  

Kid's Bake 'Em Cookies

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup salted butter, softened
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
     Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
     In a small bowl combine flour, soda and salt.  Mix well with a wire whisk and set aside.  In mixing bowl blend butter, sugar and honey at medium speed.  Beat until light and soft, then scrape sides of bowl.  
     Add the flour mixture and chocolate chips, and blend at low speed just until combined.  Do not over mix. 
     Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheets,  1 1/2 inches apart.  Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Immediately transfer cookies with a spatula to a cool, flat surface.
      I always double this recipe cause 2 dozen is just not enough around my house.  


And if anyone is wondering Bobby Flay LOST that throwdown episode. 




    

No comments:

Post a Comment