Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Chili Dogs

     So here it is the end of January and yesterday we had our air conditioner on and today we put the heater on.  And then the wind was blowing so hard.  Or as we say it was blowing 90 to nothing.  Our weather gauge said the peak speed was 26 mph.  Aw the joys of living in south Louisiana.  
     So when the weather turns cool around here most people either cook gumbo, soup or chili.  Well my husband requested chili dogs for supper.  I have tried a few chili recipes and finally found one we both love.  My chili is really thick.  We like it that way on top of our chili dogs.  You can add more water as it cooks to make it to your liking.  And you can add beans if you like.  We are a no beans in the chili family.  Except my White Chicken Chili.  But that's a whole different ball game.  
     So here is the recipe for my Chili.  

Chili Sauce for Hot Dogs

1 pound ground beef
1 (15 ounce) can chicken or beef stock ( I always use chicken)
1 can water (use the empty stock can)
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste, plain
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion 
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound ground beef, browned 
     Brown 1 pound of ground beef and set aside.  With clean hands start by adding the water, stock and tomato paste in a large pot.  Place the other pound of ground beef in the liquid and use your hands to break all down so there are no chunks.  Add onion, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, parsley, cayenne and black pepper and mix well.  Add the browned ground beef.  Simmer uncovered over low heat for 2 to 4 hours or until the mixture becomes thick.  Stir often.  Taste for seasoning and spice level. 

Here is the finished product.  Nice and thick for hot dogs.  
  
Here is me and my hubby's hot dogs.  He likes his with chopped onions and shredded cheese.  I usually just eat mine with chili but topped mine tonight with Easy Cheese.  And I must say it was so good.  And then we topped it with some tabasco.  Made them even better.



They were so good with some waffle fries on the side.  And to end a great day.  The sunset was amazing tonight.  Not a great shot but you get the idea.  I need to work on my settings to get a really great shot. 



No comments:

Post a Comment